A smart way to carry money abroad
- Save up to 5% on the cost of using your existing credit card or debit card
- A secure and convenient alternative to cash - just load and spend
Already a card holder?
Log-in to view your account
+44 (0) 1753 778 645
MasterCard® Prepaid Euro Card
Terms and conditions
These terms and conditions apply to your Prepaid Card. You must read them carefully. In these terms and conditions "you" means the named Prepaid Cardholder being and the authorised user of the Prepaid Card. "We", "us" or "our" means Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd or Payment Card Technologies (Retail) ltd acting on its behalf. "Website" means our website at http://eurocard.brittany-ferries.co.uk.
1. Your Prepaid MasterCard Card
You can use the Prepaid Card at any location that displays the MasterCard Acceptance Mark, including shops, restaurants, online, or on the telephone. You can also use your Prepaid Card overseas. Before using the Prepaid Card you need to make sure there are enough funds loaded on it. You will not be able and should not attempt to use your Prepaid Card after its expiry date.
Your Prepaid Card is not a credit card and can only be connected to your bank account for the purposes of loading the card. You will not earn any interest on any funds loaded on your Prepaid Card.
2. Applying for and activating your Prepaid Card
To apply for our Prepaid Card you must be at least 18 years old and a UK resident. We will require evidence of who you are and your address. We may ask you to provide some documentary evidence to prove this and/or we may carry out checks on you electronically.
You must sign the signature strip on the back of the Prepaid Card as soon as it is received. Please refer to our Website http://eurocard.brittany-ferries.co.uk for all Prepaid Card loading options, or refer to the "Loading your Prepaid Card" section below.
By using the Prepaid Card you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
3. Loading your Prepaid Card
Funds can be loaded to your Prepaid Card via the Internet.
The maximum load on your Prepaid Card is €6250. Your Prepaid Card cannot be loaded more than twice in any one day. The balance on your Prepaid Card can never exceed €6250 at any time. We reserve the right to refuse to accept any particular loading transaction. Upon receipt, your funds will be available for use without delay.
A Load/Reload Fee may apply for each load/reload that you make.
4. Using your Prepaid Card
Detailed instructions on how to use your Prepaid Card are found on the Website. You will need to follow these instructions when using your Prepaid Card.
We will deduct the value of your transactions from the balance on your Prepaid Card. We will also deduct any applicable fees as soon as they become payable by you, see our Fees section below for details of our fees.
The Prepaid Card belongs to us. We may ask you to stop using your Prepaid Card and return it to us or destroy it. We may at anytime suspend, restrict or cancel your Prepaid Card or refuse to issue or replace a Prepaid Card for reasons relating to the following:
- we are concerned about security of your account or Prepaid Cards we have issued to you;
- we suspect your account is being used in an unauthorised or fraudulent manner;
- or we need to do so to comply with the law.
If we do this, we will tell you as soon as we can or are permitted to do so after we have taken these steps.
Like other payment cards, we cannot guarantee a retailer will accept your Prepaid Card. We may also refuse to pay a transaction:
- if we are concerned about security of your Prepaid Card or we suspect your Prepaid Card is being used in an unauthorised or fraudulent manner;
- If sufficient funds are not loaded on your Prepaid Card at the time of a transaction to cover the amount of the transaction and any applicable fees;
- if there is an outstanding Shortfall on the Prepaid Card in accordance with condition 12;
- if we have reasonable grounds to believe that you are acting in breach of this agreement;
- if we believe that a transaction is potentially suspicious or illegal (for example, if we believe that a transaction is being made fraudulently); or
- because of errors, failures (whether mechanical or otherwise) or refusals by merchants, payment processors or payment schemes processing transactions.
If we refuse to authorise a transaction, we will, if practicable, tell you why immediately unless it would be unlawful for us to do so. You may correct any information we hold and which may have caused us to refuse a transaction by contacting us on +44 (0) 1753 778 645.
5. Authorising Transactions
Subject to the features of the particular Prepaid Card, the authorisation of a transaction can include authorising any single transaction, a series or recurring transactions (including transactions for an indefinite period) or pre-authorising future transactions of a certain or uncertain amount.
A Prepaid Card transaction will be regarded as authorised by you where you;
- authorise the transaction at the point of sale by following the instructions provided by the merchant or retailer to authorise the transaction, which may include:
- entering your PIN or providing any other security code;
- signing a sales voucher;
- providing the Prepaid Card details and/ or providing any other details as requested;
- waving/swiping the Prepaid Card over a card reader or inserting your prepaid card into a card reading device for the purpose of making a payment
- insert a Prepaid Card and enter your PIN to request a cash withdrawal at an ATM;
- make a request for a cash advance at any bank counter;
Authorisation for a transaction may not be withdrawn (or revoked) by you after the time it is received. However, the following transactions may be withdrawn if you or an additional Prepaid Cardholder gives notice to the supplier (providing a copy of the notice to us):
- any transaction which is agreed to take place on a date later than the date is was authorised as long as notice was provided no later than the close of business on the business day before it was due to take place;
- direct debits if they are to occur after the date of the withdrawal
We may charge you a fee if a transaction is revoked by you under this condition.
Funds to cover the authorised transactions received by us will be paid over to the merchant acquirer within 3 days following the receipt by us of the instruction to make payment. A transaction (the payment order) will be received as follows:
- for purchases and ATM transactions, at the time we receive the transaction instruction from the merchant acquirer or ATM operator;
- for other transactions which are communicated directly to us, at the time you ask us to complete the transaction.
- If, in relation to;
- purchases and ATM transactions, we receive the transaction instruction from the merchant acquirer or ATM operator; or
- other transactions communicated directly to us, you ask us to complete the transaction after 15:00 the transaction instruction or request will be deemed to have been received by us on the following business day.
6. Cancellation and expiry of your Prepaid Card
This agreement will continue indefinitely unless terminated. You have a legal right to cancel your Prepaid Card up to 14 days after you receive the Prepaid Card without being charged the Redemption Fee – this 14 day period is known as the "Cooling-Off Period". Under these terms and conditions, you also have the right to cancel your Prepaid Card at any time after the 14 day Cooling-Off Period without notice and any funds remaining on your Prepaid Card will be returned to you within 5 days subject to satisfactory checks being completed.
We may also cancel your agreement for any reason by giving you at least 2 month's notice:
- if this agreement or your card expires on a set date and we have not agreed to renew this Agreement;
- if you break an important part of this agreement, or repeatedly break the agreement and fail to resolve the matter in a timely manner;
- if you act in a manner that is threatening or abusive to our staff, or any or our representatives;
- if you fail to pay fees or charges that you have incurred or fail to put right any shortfall;
- in the event of your death
We may also cancel this agreement or suspend your card or account immediately if we believe your Prepaid Card is deliberately being used by you to commit fraud or for other illegal purposes. If we do this we will tell you as soon as we are permitted to do so.
If we cancel your Prepaid Card you must tell us what you want us to do with any unused funds within 3 months of the date we tell you your Prepaid Card is cancelled. We can return the funds to the loading source, to a bank account in the same name as the prepaid card account for your refund. Please note we will need to verify your identity in order to satisfy Anti Money Laundering requirements. If we receive no contact within three months, the funds will be returned to the loading source.
If your Prepaid Card is cancelled, we will immediately block your Prepaid Card so it cannot be used.
You will not be entitled to a refund of money you have already spent on transactions authorised, or pending or any fees for use of the Prepaid Card before the Prepaid Card is cancelled or expires. You can cancel your Prepaid Card by sending an email to us using the "contact us" function on the Website, and confirming that you have destroyed your Prepaid Card.
If you cancel your Prepaid Card, once all transactions and fees have been deducted, we will arrange for any unused funds to be refunded to you, see "Your Rights to Redemption of Funds and Refunding of Transactions on your Prepaid Card" section below for further information. A Redemption Fee may be charged (see Fees section below) unless you have arranged to transfer any unused funds to another Prepaid Card managed by us, or you cancel your Prepaid Card within 14 days of receiving it.
Your Prepaid Card will be valid for 24 months.
Shortly before expiry of your Prepaid card, we will contact you to ask whether you require a replacement card. If you promptly confirm to us that you wish to receive a replacement card, then subject to receiving acceptable evidence of identity from you, we will issue a replacement card before expiry of your card.
When we issue a replacement prepaid card we may charge a fee. Please see section 12 for a summary of fees.
7. Keeping your Prepaid Card secure
You should treat your Prepaid Card like cash. If it is lost or stolen, you may lose some or all of your money on your Prepaid Card, in the same way as if you lost cash in your wallet or purse. As a result, you must keep your Prepaid Card safe and not let anyone else use it.
When you are issued with a PIN, you must keep it secret at all times. You should memorise the PIN, and never disclose the PIN or security information to anyone. If you suspect that someone else knows your PIN, you should change it as soon as possible. You can change your PIN to something more memorable at most ATM machines by following the on screen instructions.
We recommend that you check the balance on your Prepaid Card regularly online at the Website. We will provide you with your Prepaid Card balance and a statement of recent transactions either by electronic means or on our secure webpage at any time. Your statement will show:
- information relating to each Prepaid Card transaction which will enable it to be identified;
- the amount of the Prepaid Card transaction shown in the currency in which the transaction was paid or debited to the account;
- the amount of charges for the transaction
- the date the transaction is authorised or posted on to the account.1
8. Lost and stolen Prepaid Card and unauthorised or incorrectly executed payments
You must tell us without undue delay by calling us on our 24 hour lost and stolen card helpline +44 (0) 1753 778 645 if you know or suspect that a Prepaid Card is lost or stolen or that the PIN or password is known to an unauthorised person or if you think a transaction has been incorrectly executed. If you ask us to do so, we will investigate any disputed transaction or misuse of your Prepaid Card and we may need more information and assistance from you.
We will refund any incorrectly executed transaction immediately unless we have any reason to believe that the incident has been caused by a breach of this agreement, gross negligence or we have reasonable grounds to suspect fraudulent activity.
However, if the investigations show that any disputed transaction was authorised by you, or you have acted fraudulently or with gross negligence (for example by failing to keep your Prepaid Card or PIN secure), we will not refund the transaction amount and will charge you a fee of up to £50 for any loss we suffer because of the use of the Prepaid Card.
9. Our liability
We will not be liable for any loss arising from:
- any cause which results from abnormal or unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, consequences which would have been unavoidable despite all our efforts to the contrary; or
- a retailer refusing to accept your Prepaid Card; or
- our compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- loss or corruption of data unless caused by our wilful default.
We are also not liable for:
- business interruption, loss of revenue, goodwill, opportunity or anticipated savings;
- any indirect or consequential loss.
We reserve the right to charge you for any reasonable costs that we incur in taking action to stop you using this Prepaid Card and to recover any monies owed as a result of your activities.
10. Your Rights to Redemption of Funds and Refunding of Transactions on your Prepaid Card
Redeeming the funds on your Prepaid Card
You have the right to redeem the funds on your prepaid card at any time in whole or in part. To do so, please either send us an e-mail using the "contact us" facility on the Website, or contact us by telephone on +44 (0) 1753 778 645, requesting redemption and indicating the amount to be redeemed. If you request redemption of all funds on your Prepaid Card, please confirm in writing that you have destroyed your Prepaid Card by cutting it up. When we process your redemption request, we may require you to provide us with documents such as identification so that we may process your request in accordance with legal requirements. We may also charge a redemption fee if one of the following circumstances applies:
- You are requesting redemption before termination or expiry of this agreement
- You cancel this agreement before any agreed termination or expiry date; or
- You request redemption more than one year after the date of termination or expiry of this agreement
Please see section 12 for a summary of fees including redemption fees.
We will not redeem the value of the funds on your card to you if your request for redemption of the funds is more than six years after the date of termination or expiry of this agreement.
We will arrange an electronic transfer to a bank account nominated by you. However, to enable us to comply with our legal obligations, we may ask you to provide us with certain information before we can process your refund request.
You may be entitled to claim a refund in relation to transactions where:
- the transactions was not authorised under this agreement;
- we are responsible for a transaction which was incorrectly executed notified us in accordance with section 8 above;
- a pre-authorised transaction did not specify the exact amount at the time of its authorisation and the amount charged by a supplier is more than you or an additional Prepaid Cardholder could reasonably have expected taking into account normal spending patters on the Prepaid Card or the circumstances of the transaction.
- A claim for a refund in the circumstances set out above will not be accepted if the amount of the transaction was made available to you at least 4 weeks before the transaction date or it is made more than 8 weeks after being debited to your account.
- We were notified of the unauthorised/incorrectly executed transaction within 13 months of the debit date.
11. Changes to these Terms
We may change these terms at any time by notifying you by e-mail or other agreed means at least 2 months before the change is due to take effect. The up-to-date version of the Prepaid Card terms and conditions will always be available on the Website. The change will automatically take effect and you will be taken to have accepted the notified change unless you tell us that you do not agree to the change. In that event, we will treat that notice as notification that you wish immediately to terminate. In such circumstances we will refund any balance on the card in accordance with section 10 above and you will not be charged a Refund Fee.
We may make immediate changes to the exchange rate used to convert foreign transactions into Sterling. For all transactions made in a foreign currency you can find out what the applicable exchange rate was at the time of the transaction by contacting our Customer Services Team.
12. Fees and Usage Restrictions
We do not charge any fees for checking your on-line balance and transactions. However the following fees do apply:
|The information contained in this table summarises key product features and is not intended to replace any terms and conditions|
|Card issue fee||
|Cash withdrawal fees||
|Top-up fees and limits||
|Replacement card fees||
|Cancellation or Redemption||
When you use your Prepaid Card at an ATM, you may also be subject to applicable fees, surcharge rules and regulations of the relevant ATM, or other financial institution or association.
If we decide to increase or impose any new fees, we will tell you by e-mail, text, or post, at least two months before any changes take effect. Authorisation will be requested for all transactions at the time of each transaction. In the unlikely event, for any reason whatsoever, a transaction is completed when there are insufficient funds on the Prepaid Card for that transaction (a "Shortfall"), the Shortfall shall be reimbursed by you unless it is due to an error on the part of the retailer where the Prepaid Card was presented, in this circumstance we may seek the Shortfall from the retailer.
You agree that once we make this Shortfall known to you, we may charge you for the Shortfall amount. We may charge the amount of the shortfall from any other Prepaid Cards that you hold with us, to any other payment method which you may designate at that time, or against any funds which you may subsequently load onto your Prepaid Card or on any additional Prepaid Card ordered by you. Until we are reimbursed the Shortfall amount, we may suspend your Prepaid Card and any additional Prepaid Cards connected to you. In addition, we reserve the right to charge you an Administration Fee for each transaction that you make using your Prepaid Card that results in a Shortfall or increases the Shortfall amount on your Prepaid Card.
13. Your details
You must let us know as soon as possible if you change name, address, phone number or e-mail address. If we contact you in relation to your Prepaid Card, for example, to notify you that we have cancelled your Prepaid Card, we will use the most recent contact details you have provided to us. Any e-mail to you will be treated as being received as soon as it is sent by us. We will not be liable to you if your contact details have changed and you have not told us.
14. Data protection
15. Disputes with retailers
If you have any disputes about purchases made using your Prepaid Card, you should settle these with the person you bought the goods or services from. We are not responsible for the quality, safety, legality or any other aspect of any goods or services purchased with your Prepaid Card. Remember that once you have used your Prepaid Card to make a purchase we cannot stop that transaction.
If you have an enquiry relating to your Prepaid Card, you can use the "Contact Us" facility on the website. We will deal with your enquiry promptly. If you do not wish to enquire in this way you can alternatively call our customer service telephone line on +44 (0) 1753 778 645.
The Prepaid Card programme is managed by Payment Card Technologies (Retail) Ltd. If you are unhappy in any way with your Prepaid Card or the way it is managed, tell us by using the e-mail enquiry facility on the Website so we can investigate the circumstances for you. Any complaints you have will be dealt with quickly and fairly. You may be able to take unresolved complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service at Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR. Telephone: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9123 and e-mail: email@example.com
The Prepaid Card is an electronic money product and although it is a product regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, it is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. No other compensation scheme exists to cover losses claimed in connection with the Prepaid Card. This means that in the event that Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd becomes insolvent your funds may become valueless and unusable and as a result you may lose your money.
We may assign the benefit and burden of these terms and conditions to another company at any time, on giving you 2 month’s prior notice of this. If we do this, your rights will not be affected.
20. Transfer to a new prepaid card
We may transfer your unused balance to a new Prepaid Card provided by a Prepaid Card issuer other than Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd at any time. Before we do this, we will give you 2 month's notice of the new Prepaid Card arrangements and the new Prepaid Card terms and conditions. Unless you advise us within the 2 month period that you do not want a new Prepaid Card from the new Prepaid Card issuer, you agree that we can automatically transfer the unused balance on your Prepaid Card to a new Prepaid Card provided by the new Prepaid Card issuer.
21. Governing law
This Agreement is concluded in English. All communications with you will be in English. These terms and conditions will be construed in accordance with English law.
22. Fund Protection
As a responsible e-money issuer, Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd ensures that once it has received your funds they are deposited in a secure account, specifically for the purpose of redeeming transactions made by your Prepaid Card. In the event that Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd becomes insolvent funds that you have loaded which have arrived with and been deposited by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd are protected against the claims made by creditors.
23. Prepaid Card issuer
Your Prepaid Card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd ("WDCS") whose principal office is Portland House, New Bridge Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 8AN, which is pursuant to licence by MasterCard International Inc. WDCS is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to conduct electronic money service activities under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (Ref: 900051). Your Prepaid Card is the property of Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd and is not transferable to anyone else.
- 1. A charge will be made for supplying additional or duplicate copies of statements on paper
© Brittany Ferries 2019